If you are passionate about gardening, you know how compost enriches the soil quality and promotes the healthy growth of the plants. Compost is an organic matter that is extremely rich in nutrients and minerals and acts as a soil conditioner. It is widely used in organic farming, horticulture, landscaping, etc.
Apart from aerobic conditions and internal biological heat, you will also need a good compost thermometer to make the compost work effectively. Using the compost is a complex process, and with the help of a compost thermometer, you will be able to identify when the microbes will be active and when you need to turn the pile.
A compost thermometer is an essential tool that will assist in monitoring the pile as it passes through different growth phases. If you are looking for a heavy-duty and durable compost thermometer, here are the 10 best compost thermometers to think over.
- Best Compost Thermometers A Complete Guide:
- 10. REOTEMP Backyard Compost Thermometer
- 9. General Tools Composting Dial Thermometer
- 8. uster Leaf Products Dial Compost Thermometer
- 7. Worm Farming Thermometer for Live Red Wiggler Compost Bins
- 6. SmartChoice Premium Stainless Steel Soil Thermometer
- 5. General Tools T300-36 Analog Soil Thermometer
- 4. Bayou Classic Stainless Steel Thermometer
- 3. VeeGee Dial Compost Thermometer
- 2. SmartChoice Backyard Compost Stainless Steel
- 1. Worm Farming Thermometer
Best Compost Thermometers A Complete Guide:
10. REOTEMP Backyard Compost Thermometer
REOTEMP is the leading manufacturer of superior-quality, and some of the best compost thermometers and this one is a product you need to consider if you are looking for reliable and lasting use. With 20″ stem and a PDF composting guide, this compost thermometer makes composting simpler and easier.
If you worry about the thermometer getting fogged up during moist conditions and can be left in a pile overnight. The thermometer comes with 3 temperature zones; active steady and hot that shows the activity of compost.
- A highly accurate and durable compost thermometer
- ¼ inches thick stem for lasting use
- Can be left overnight in the pile as it won’t fog up
- Stem length is low
9. General Tools Composting Dial Thermometer
The long stem thermometers are best compost thermometers that feature a 20-inch long probe and have a range of 0 to 220 degrees F. From temperature readings to temperature indications, this two in one composting dial thermometer is a great pick.
The thermometer is designed to last long and thus, features a rustproof design. The thermometer has along 20 inches stainless steel probe that can be left in the pile overnight for better performance.
- Ideal for measuring soil and ground temperature for composting, agricultural applications and gardening
- 2-inches wide dial with glass lens
- Features 20 inches long shaft
- Accuracy of readings is questionable
8. uster Leaf Products Dial Compost Thermometer
This dial compost thermometer is a perfect tool for identifying the temperature of the compost pile and has a 19 inches long stainless steel probe that is rust-free and sustainable. The thermometer might look very tiny, but it has all the features of a high-profile thermometer.
The dial of the thermometer also gives soil temperature recommendations for different types of plants while its long probe offers enough length for obtaining accurate readings. It also comes with guidelines for transplant temperature and germination.
- Comes in 4 different varieties
- Determines the temperature of the post and gives temperature recommendations for different plants
- Designed to be used in soil
- Might get fogged in heavy-moisture atmosphere
7. Worm Farming Thermometer for Live Red Wiggler Compost Bins
This thermometer will curb all your worries of having the compost too hot or dry. It is designed to keep a regular check on the compost temperatures and offer proper readings. The thermometer will quickly check the temperature in your worm bin and show if worms are in danger.
The color-coded gauge gives alerts about high temperatures instantly so you can take proper actions. The eight-inch probe reached deep into the worm bedding for accurate readings.
- Coloured gauge for accurate and precise readings
- Alerts you about extremely high temperatures that may kill the worms
- Reads temperature between 32-125 degrees F
- 8-inch probe is not long enough for deep beds
6. SmartChoice Premium Stainless Steel Soil Thermometer
This 1.5 inches wide thermometer offers accurate readings and features a temperature range of 0 to 220 degree F. This is the best compost thermometer that offers precision performance through its glass-covered dial and offers better visibility too.
The thermometer keeps plants healthy, optimizes composting effectiveness, and improves seeding and transplanting for outdoor and indoor gardening. Its stem is made of high-quality stainless steel for preventing rust, and the glass-covered dial prevents fogging and moisture from entering the device.
- Comes with a protective sheath for 5 inches stem
- Corrosion and rust-resistant stem
- Measures temperature from 0-220 degree F
- The stem length is just 5 inches.
5. General Tools T300-36 Analog Soil Thermometer
Here’s another thermometer by General tools that features a super long 3 feet prob. If you are looking for a good bargain, this is an ideal piece of compost equipment to choose from. The thermometer measures temperature from 0 to 220 degrees F and is ideal for measuring ground and soil temperatures.
The thermometer measures the temperature of soil and ground accurately with its 3ft long stainless steel probe. It also features a 3 inches diameter dial with a clear glass cover. It also comes with ½ inches NPT fitting and is a precise tool for composting.
- Stainless steel and rust-proof probe
- Covered dial that prevents fogging
- Comes with 12.7mm national pipe tapered thread fitting
- The stem is not thick enough and bends easily.
4. Bayou Classic Stainless Steel Thermometer
This thermometer will end your search if you are looking for overwhelmingly good equipment. The thermometer features a12 inches long stainless steel probe and has a tempered glass face. It can measure temperature from 50-400 degrees F.
The thermometer is designed to last and provides accurate readings. The tempered glass seal protects it from fogging, moisture as well as breakage. You can use the thermometer to measure the temperatures of your soil and ground, and it also has a length that reaches the center of your pile.
- Comes with a tempered glass seal
- Dishwasher safe and anti-fog product
- Provides accurate readings from 50-200 degree F
- Durability is questionable
3. VeeGee Dial Compost Thermometer
If you are looking for a super long and heavy-duty thermometer that can reach to the bottom of your pile and offer accurate readings, this VeeGee dial compost thermometer has a 36 inches long stem and a clear and easy to read dial.
According to the size of your compost bed, you can choose from three different thermometers of different lengths. The long stems and large faces of this thermometer are perfect for testing soil and compost.
- Temperature range is 0-200 degree F
- Features 36 inches long stem
- Also features a clear dial for better readings
- Durable for only a few months
2. SmartChoice Backyard Compost Stainless Steel
Here is a thermometer with a 1.5 inches display and 5 inches stainless steel stem for measuring the temperature in compost heaps and soils. The thermometer features a temperature range of 0-220 degrees F and is perfect for indoor and outdoor gardening.
Available at a bargain, this thermometer is also highly time savvy. Simply place this heavy-duty soil thermometer in your soil or compost bin and get precise readings. It is a stainless steel thermometer that measures subsurface temperature and also identifies bacterial activities.
- Troubleshoots issues to optimize your compost efficiency
- 5” long stem for small pits
- Effectively tracks the progress of your compost
- The thermometer easily gets foggy
1. Worm Farming Thermometer
This thermometer with a color-coded gauge is an ideal thermometer for identifying the issues in your compost. The thermometer has an 8 inches long probe and is ideal to use for work factories and worm compost kits.
The long probe of this thermometer easily dips into your compost and gets into the worm bedding to achieve the most accurate results. You can keep your worms out of danger with this probe, and it works accurately between temperatures 32 to 125 degree F.
- Temperature range is of 32-125 degree F
- The display is sealed and protected from moisture
- Reaches to the bottom of the bedding
- The thermometer doesn’t show accurate results
Buying a compost thermometer can be a tough task, especially if you have limited knowledge about these devices. To help you out, we summed up 10 best compost thermometers that are made using heavy-duty material and have complimentary measuring units. Analyze your requirements and pick the thermometer that caters to your needs.